Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Sucess and Failure

  I wanted to give an update on the progress LM and I are making on our newly defined life tasks.  And yes I know that it is only day 2 but it's going so well I want to shout it from the mountain tops!  Little Man went all day yesterday without his boppy (pacifier) only having it at night when it was time to go to sleep.  He even took a nap at daycare without his boppy or Monkey.  I am ecstatic!!  We did have a bit of a bump this morning because he really wanted his boppy after he woke up but I just told him that it was his choice; he could either have his boppy or a new toy and once again my bribery won out.  I can only hope that it lasts until he no longer desires his boppy at all. So far Task Number 1: Get Rid of Boppy has worked beautifully and I'm hoping that it continues in this manner. 

   Since we had such success Task 1 on the first go, I thought I might try to introduce Task Number 2: Get Out of Mommy's Bed just on a trial run and see where we stood.  That failed miserably and included a lot of crocodile tears and diversions to try to stay awake.  LM only stayed in bed for a total for 2 seconds before he began wailing for me.  I even tried putting him in my bed with a movie and whatever else he wanted to sleep with to keep his surroundings familiar while I went downstairs to tidy the kitchen, which really means to scrub it on my hands and knees.  This technique was not successful and ultimately resulted in a half cleaned kitchen and an early bedtime for Mommy as I was certain  my neighbors would call the police to report the child next door was being brutally abused if the shrieks and wails coming through the wall was any indication.  My son seems to have a flair for dramatics.  Imagine that.  So Task 2 went up in a glorious cloud of smoke and flames. 

  But wait!  I think I just had an epiphany!  Maybe if I move his toddler bed into my room and have him sleep in it while still in the same room with me would be a good way to ease him out of my bed permanently but still give him the security of not being alone in the room.  Then once he is comfortable with sleeping in a bed alone we could try moving his bed back into his room.  I think I'm going to try this out tonight.  I've always wondered if he had a fear of being alone as he has rarely been in a room by himself since the day he was born. From the time he left the womb, he has never been in a room by himself and if he was it was never for very long.  Even while at daycare, they all take a nap in the same room together and he is with his class all day.  So it would make sense that he would have a fear or an aversion of being by himself when it's time to go to sleep in a dark silent room.  This new revelation gives me a plethora of ideas to try to help ease him into his own room for bedtime.  But I think I will try moving his bed to my room first and see where that gets us.  I'll try to update on all this in another day or so and report my findings.

  I do want to say thank you to all the comments and support that my last post received.  Even though Little Man and I have some tough challenges ahead of us, it is comforting to know that we have so many friends and family members that are there to help and support us.  I know that with all your love and prayers and with God's grace we will emerge triumphant in all things.  We love each and everyone of you and are so thankful to have you be a part of our lives.  So until next time, may God keep you and bless you.

1 comment:

  1. Yay! That's exactly what we did with Co sleeping. They slept in their bed in our room for a while and then when they moved to their room we got one of those cool things that projects lights on the wall and got two way radios so they could talk to us if they were scared or lonely. I really admire your courage in realizing things needed to change and then tackling it without hesitation. He's lucky to have a mom that's trying so hard to do what's best for him!

    ReplyDelete